For this challenge, we are asking you to be the chef and create your own original recipe using at least three ingredients in the virtual basket below. We've provided you with suggestions for sourcing these ingredients in Montgomery County, MD.
Our Spring Basket ingredients:
Eggs- Aliabaad Farms in Sharpsburg and Rocklands Farm in Poolsville
Dress It Up Dressing- Found at local Dawson’s Market, Whole Foods Markets, MOM’s Organic Market in Rockville and Relay Foods
Lamb- Fox Hollow Farm in Gaithersburg
Chicken Thighs- East Rivendell Farm in Damascus and Fox Hollow Farm in Gaithersburg Chives- Aliabaad Farms in Sharpsburg
Radishes- Rock Hill Orchard in Mount Airy
Honey- Comus Market in Dickerson and Heyser Farms in Colesville
Beets- Aliabaad Farms in Sharpsburg
Each submission must include:
- Recipe Name
- Recipe: Each submitted recipe must: include a title, utilize at least three local “basket” ingredients, use standard U.S. measurements, (such as cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, ounces, or pounds; please do not abbreviate), list exact amounts for every ingredient, and state the number of servings. Each ingredient must be listed, preferably in order of use, followed by complete, step-by-step cooking instructions, including timing and temperature for any cooked components.
- A sentence or two about why you choose to eat and buy local.
Recipes will be tested and judged by local chefs and culinary students; the winning recipe will be selected based on taste, creativity, and use of ingredients.
A winner will be announced on June 1st.
Winning recipes will be featured on the Food Council website and Facebook page, and possible other prizes include:
- A gift card to Dawson’s Market in Rockville
- The winning dish featured on the menu of a local restaurant and/or in the prepared food section of a local market
- The winning dish prepared by a local chef in a cooking demo at Central Farm Markets in Bethesda
For more information, to learn more about the contest rules, or if you have any other questions, please email Eatlocalmoco@gmail.com